Pergy is one of my idols when it comes to papercutting! I found out about her lovely collages through an online community and was so happy when I found out she was a Pinay too! I really admire her patience and imagination when it comes to creating fun, whimsical works of art using paper. She also sews adorable soft sculptures!
1. Tell us a bit about yourself and your art/craft.
Hello, my name is Pergy, I love moustaches and dreaming fascinates me.
I also enjoy creating stuff by hand.
2. What are your favorite tools in creating art and why do you love them?
I love working with paper, fabric and sharp objects. (scissors, x-acto blade, needles)
I love the feel and look of traditional arts and handmade crafts.
3. Can you tell us about your daily routine or your artistic process?
A lot of my time is spent conceptualizing and doing studies.
Then I get frustrated and ditch the whole idea and start all over again. 😛
After the final idea, I make cleaner pencil studies, then trace them and cut them.
4. What inspires you? What makes you excited?
For instant inspiration there is the internet, I also get inspiration from real life events/moments and people who are deeply passionate about something and anything. A chance to travel is always exciting.
5. Who are the local and foreign artists you admire the most?
There are many local artists whom I admire, most of them I work with at Ang Ilustrador ng Kabataan. Dali because his moustache is crazy and we have the same birthday, I also like Magritte, Elsa Mora is such an inspiring woman, a great paper cut artist and a lot more.
6. Most inspiring place in the Philippines?
In my dreams 😀
7. If you were stuck in an island and could only bring one art/craft tool with you, what would it be and why?
Scissors, I can use it to cut and kill for survival.
8. Favorite snack/s while creating art?
Sweet potato , green tea or coffee
9. Earliest childhood memory related to arts/crafts?
Making flower prints using okra and placing old crayons under the sun until they’re soft enough to be molded.
10. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an astronaut.
11. What’s your current job now?
I’m a freelance illustrator, full-time dreamer and a moustache connoisseur (not really!)
12. Favorite books and/or movies?
Amelie, Fight Club, Little Miss Sunshine, The Science of Sleep, Franny and Zooey / Nine Stories by JD Salinger.
Alice in Wonderland novel and picture books!
13. What is your philosophy when creating/making art?
If a job’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.
The Universe starts from scratch and you’re given the chance to be reincarnated as a famous artist. Which artist would you choose and why?
I don’t know, a travelling-singing-kung-fu fighting- artist- monk maybe?
Where can we see your awesome work? (plug away!) What are you working on right now?
Images above are all from Pergy’s sites.